Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Shoulds" and acceptance

First of all, I'd like to say that I realize I should be cleaning my house right now. There are so many "shoulds" going through my brain at the moment, and a few "shouldn'ts" as well. But I have to figure out a way to get some things off of my chest without hurting the people I love. Sounds like a bit of a pickle...

There are times when you know what is the best thing to do. Times when it should be easy to say Hey, why don't we..., but you find yourself in a position where you are unable to speak your mind. Times when it should be obvious to all parties involved what the correct course of action is, but everyone is afraid to say or do anything that might offend another person.

Why do we have to pussyfoot around our concerns and emotions? Why are we afraid of others reactions? Why are people so easily slighted by true and honest sentiments? If I feel very strongly about an issue and can address the issue an a calm and polite manner, shouldn't I be able to do so?


I look at the mutt, sleeping next to me, and see such straightforwardness in her spirit. She is always who she is and is always honest with those around her. And in return the people in her life accept her for who she is. They acknowledge her faults and do not make excuses for her bad behaviours. If only life was that easy for people.


Perhaps it is. Perhaps I should take a more canine approach to life. Say what needs to be said and let others respond however they please. The people in my life will either accept what I have to say or they won't. If my crazy mutt can find acceptance maybe I can too.


But for now, I have to go and dust my house. 







No comments:

Post a Comment